Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Rode iXY Recording Microphone for iPhone/iPad

Rode iXY Recording Microphone for iPhone/iPad
  • Compatible with iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPad (3rd gen.), iPad 2 and iPad
  • Built-in high pass filter to minimize handling noise (switchable within Rode Rec app)
  • True XY stereo pattern mics for remarkable stereo recordings
  • Comes with foam windshield for outdoor recording as well as a reinforced zip case
  • Available Rode Rec app designed specifically to work with the iXY and give 24bit/96kHz recording

I've had the iXY for a couple of weeks now and used it mostly recording acoustic guitar/vocal beds, band rehearsals and song scratch ideas. In combination with the Rode Rec App (paid, not LE version) this is one heck of a powerful AND portable combination. I've thankfully been able to shelve my Zoom digital recorder as the quality of this Rode solution simply blows it away in all aspects. I really enjoy not having to carry another device or worry about another set of batteries to charge or what is now an apparent hassle transferring the data back/forth. One down side is that I had to fork out $30 for the Apple Lightening adapter, as I have an iPhone5, and I do need to be cautious not to put too much mechanical strain when I connect it all. I believe Rode is bringing out a 9-pin version later in the year which I'll upgrade to.

I'm still blown away by the fact this thing is 24bit and can record up to 96Khz ON AN iOS DEVICE!! AMAZING!!! One thing worth mentioning is the HD space used in various applications. I record mostly at 44.1Khz and for reference sake a 1.5hr recording takes up about 1GB whereas a 2hr recording at 96K takes up about 10GB.

A few tricks I've learnt along the way is to ensure you turn Flight Mode ON, turn OFF iOS processing (the processor takes a hit when on which can cause digital overs/distortion or drop-outs), plug headphones in FIRST and then the iXY (to be able to monitor in real-time), give yourself an extra 4-6dB of headroom in the gain setting (reduce the gain) as the visual metering doesn't quite capture hard transients, and give it a little distance from the source to reduce plosives or peaks if you're recording vocals or loud/bass type sources. Once you get the overall balance of gain and position right (as with any recording, really) the quality of this thing is outstanding.

One final point is I'm now fully confident in using the iXY for acoustic bed tracks in recordings, as the quality of the 1/2" capsules and Rode's preamp circuit and the A/D conversion are excellent. The guys in the band think we may be able to do away with the more traditional approach to recording (mic > console > interface > computer) and collaborate faster by each having an iXY and then bring our recordings into a single project. Time will tell!

Nothing is perfect, hence 4-stars, but the mic and paid app together come very close.

Buy Rode iXY Recording Microphone for iPhone/iPad Now

If your into field recording and you can't carry the other great products Rode makes like the NT4 with a pro field recorder then you should be using this! Its like having a full on field recorder in the palm of your hands! Nothing like it on the market I swear!

Read Best Reviews of Rode iXY Recording Microphone for iPhone/iPad Here

I like to gloat about purchases that I'm pleased with and this is no exception. I've done the Blue Mikey route and that love affair lasted about a week before I returned it. The mic was not built to be durable and the recording quality was "so-so" at best. When I heard about the iXY I figured I'd give this type of product another chance. Well, for starters....the design is a beautiful x/y cross pattern mic configuration with two high quality designed capsules that can be rotated as you see fit. When I say "high quality" capsules, I mean I was truly impressed with the results of my test recordings (which was a recording of a practice session with my acoustic band). What really appears to make this standout is its 24-bit and 96kHz recording capabilities. My guitarist and I could not get over the headroom that we had with the 24-bit capabilities. All this to say...it is an amazing microphone that's not just "good for an iPhone mic"...it's amazing for any stereo mic...period.

Want Rode iXY Recording Microphone for iPhone/iPad Discount?

At first a bit skeptical seeing that all the other mics in this category are made of cheap, plastic poorly built off the shelf capsules Rode blew my ears right off my head with this work of art!

First off, the packaging is just so well thought out and nicely designed. Those packaging engineers should win an award for progressive design. The clear plastic package shows the mic itself that sits in a beautiful color sleeve that when taken off exposes the windshield and carrying case, it can even be used as a temporary holder for my iTouch or iPhone when recording at the round table.

The mic itself is made of high grade materials and those capsules I am told are the already proven Stereo Videomic capsules that Rode designed themselves so it is already a proven winner. At this point I am impressed, it just feel good, solid, has weight to it but not too much that worries me. It snapped snuggly into my iPhone 4s but I was a little worried about it staying put but the fine team at Rode informed me via email that an accessory called the "iCLAMP" is due out shortly that will help alleviate any potential for it coming loose while in use.

I had already downloaded and familiarized myself with the RODE REC app so getting audio was as easy as plugging it in. After a small sample of spoken word during playback I was shocked at how clean it sounded thought my earbuds. I couldn't wait to hear it through my monitors.....in the field I went and when I returned from gathering just about everything I could get my self in front of, once again Rode blew me away.

Overall this product is just about the coolest tool for me to date. It not only feels good but is built well and I am confident it will do all that I need it to do and more. KUDOS RODE, VERY IMPRESSED!

Save 33% Off

As a long-term fan of RODE mics, with matched pairs of both NT1-A and NT5, I bought an iXY microphone in the UK 30 days ago to use with the RODE Rec App on two 4th generation 64GB iPod Touch devices running iOS 5.1.1 and iOS 6.0.1.

Unfortunately, the microphone did not work on either of the iPod Touch devices, though the RODE Rec App did allow me to record using the onboard (mono) microphone. I then tried the iXY microphone on an iPad2 running iOS 5.1.1 and it worked without any problem, in fact it was excellent. Subsequently, I have updated both iPod Touch devices to iOS 6.1.3 but the Rode Rec App still fails to recognise the iXY microphone when attached, even though the green LED is lit.

Fair enough you might say, the Amazon description does not state compatability with the iPod Touch, though the publicity material on the Rodemic.com website clearly states that it is compatible with the 4th generation iPod Touch:

"The RĂ˜DE iXY is the ultimate recording microphone for iPhone®, iPad® or iPod® touch."

"The iXY is compatible with iPhone® 4S, iPhone® 4, iPad® (3rd generation), iPad® 2, iPad® and iPod® touch (4th generation)."

Rode Support confirm that the iXY is designed to work with the 4th generation iPod Touch, but apparently Apple did not include digital audio input support for iPod Touch on iOS 5. Rode also advised that they discovered a communication problem between iXY and the host device caused by the new iOS 6.1.X and are working on a user installable iXY firmware update to solve the problem. I have been told that an update of Rode Rec 2.7.2 will not be required. Three stars because it works with an iPad 2. Unfortunately, I bought it to use with an iPod Touch 4th generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment