- Locking XLR inputs accept balanced mic or line inputs
- Two sets of microphones for cardioid or omnidirectional pickup
- Dual battery systems for hours of recording
- Stereo S/PDIF digital input
- Rugged aluminum construction
As with the previous model I use this for DSLR shoots. It has a rugged body, records in 96/24 WAV and has both a headphone out and a line out. Another huge bonus for me is the ability to run off a charged battery and still use AA's as a backup. I've only had a Sound Mixer tell me once that they forgot to charge the batteries but having the ability to toss in normal, everyday AA's was a lifesaver.
Extra background: I typically use a variety of shotgun mics (NTG-2) or lavs (Sennheiser G3) and then sync up audio with PluralEyes in post. Obviously the sound difference between this and the onboard mic in a DLSR are worlds apart. I've tested the Zoom H4n and my only cons would be lack of dual power sources and it looks a bit like a toy. I know there are loyalist on both sides and I'm not particularly die-hard in either direction but this is hands-down my go-to audio recorder.
Buy TASCAM DR-100mkII 2-Channel Portable Digital Recorder Now
starting to do video interviews, looking for good sound (as opposed to superb) and simple to use. i want to see how far i can get without having to spend $100's more. i am working solo, so i need a compact, portable solution that i can implement on the field without holding up the works too much.compared this against the h4n which also gets great reviews.
overview:
in my inexpert opinion, the dr100mk2 is a simpler device concentrating exclusively on the basics (and some not so basics) of sound recording. the h4n tries to as much as is electronically possible in a single device.
the dr100-2 is a much easier device to use (imho). i'm kinda old fashioned, and i like the fact that most of the controls are mechanical switches. even to the tune of the input levels being a dial.
the h4n has mostly electronic switches and are a touch more fiddly to operate. they work just fine, but are not as nice, again imho.
sound:
i'm not looking for magic and i don't expect pro sound from a

No comments:
Post a Comment