Wednesday, November 13, 2013

TASCAM iM2 Channel Portable Digital Recorder

TASCAM iM2 Channel Portable Digital Recorder
  • Adjustable stereo condenser microphones
  • 125dB maximum level for recording loud concerts and instruments without distortion
  • Built-in analog to digital converter and microphone preamp for low noise recording
  • Switchable limiter attenuates high-level signals to prevent recording overload
  • Powered through Apple dock connector

The microphone is small and light (a bit larger than a box of matches and about as heavy as for quarters). However, it has a solid, well made feel. It works great (and looks great) on my iPhone 4S.

The attached video does two things. It provides a detailed look at some of its features and gives an audio comparison so you can judge the quality for yourself. I recorded a short poem simultaneously into a regular iPhone, an iPhone with an iM2, and a Tascam DR40 Portable Digital Recorder. To me the iPhone with iM2 sounds more like the high quality digital recorder than it does a regular iPhone. Does it sound good enough to justify the expense? I think so and now you have a way to judge for yourself.

Update: In response to a comment I checked and you can use this mic while recording a video on you phone. In addition to the improved fidelity you can direct the mic backwards, towards your subjects or towards you which would emphasize any comments you make.

Buy TASCAM iM2 Channel Portable Digital Recorder Now

I am a recording engineer in Miami. Ever since I saw the iM2 announcement on DVICE, I have been looking forward to getting my hands on one! A TEAC product. I have always had good luck with TEAC products.

That luck has run out...sort of.

The PCMRecorder, and the iM2 stereo mic intended to be used with the app, both seem like beta versions. (i.e. not ready to be sold)

The iM2 does NOT work with Garage Band. The iM2 does work with Twisted Wave...but only in an environment that has other AirPlay devices. The iM2 shows up as an AirPlay device in Twisted Wave.

Do not even think about playing back a recording while the iM2 is connected to an iOS device. It will not happen. The iM2 must be unplugged from a device before attempting playback.

The Limiter and Input Level indicators are on the BOTTOM of the device. Not the best location for them.

The iM2 came in a box that had a "Made for iPhone 4S" label on it. I will believe it when I see it. As soon as the iM2 was connected to my iPhone 4S, the 4S lost cellular signal and spent five minutes "Searching" for a signal. It only stopped searching whenIi removed the iM2. Then it immediately found a signal. That is just plain bad news. Airplane Mode looks like a good idea, if you are willing to miss calls.

The iM2 is powered by the device it is connected to. Not thrilled about that, but the iM2 draws less current than I expected it to. A definite plus.

After getting past the numerous limitations, idiosyncrasies, etc...I was finally able to record audio. I was determined that my money was not going to be wasted.

The PCMRecorder app feels minimal and obligatory. The app only uses the upper left corner of the screen on an iPad. This leaves lots of wasted screen real estate that could have been used to add functionality to improve the app. The app is NOT intuitive. It takes a bit of patience to get used to it.

Bottom line, PCMRecorder is great for adjusting the stereo input levels. Would be much better if the app had additional ways to export audio files. At present, it only supports SoundCloud. SoundCloud is nice, but the app should support AudioCopy at the very least.

I was able to achieve the best consistent results using this technique:

1. Use PCMRecorder to adjust the input levels

2. Use StudioMini XL (with the Stereo Recording switched ON!) to record

3. Use iTunes File Sharing, e-mail or a web browser to export the audio

After all is said and done, the audio quality is good. (Much better than built-in mono mic on iOS devices) But concerts sound like they were recorded in a room. I will tinker with using another app later to improve the sound.

Both the app and the iM2 could be better, but for the $73 I paid, I can live with it. It just has an awkward learning curve and the app is NOT user friendly. The hardware also has limitations. Would be great if it had it's own internal rechargeable battery.

Maybe version 2.0 will be an improvement?

Read Best Reviews of TASCAM iM2 Channel Portable Digital Recorder Here

I've been looking for a high quality microphone for my iPhone 4s and it has finally arrived!

Works great and I am using it with the FiRe version 2 app.

Want TASCAM iM2 Channel Portable Digital Recorder Discount?

Lots of mixed reviews for this product and the Tascam PCM Recorder Software so I thought I would set a few things straight. I am right now playing a CD I created using the IM2 and the Tascam PCM Recorder software that was recorded on my iPhone 4 with IOS 6.1.2 (so, yes, the software works fine with the most current IOS as of this writing). I recorded the Pink Floyd Immersion disc 6. It sounds great! The phone went into lock mode and it did not interrupt the recording. The sound is almost as good as the original CD. I have the xShot iPhone case that is a hard shell case that adds the capability to connect to a standard tripod or monopod, or the xShot camera extender. If you use a case you need an extension cable or the IM2 will not fit as it has to either be snug with the iPhone or on an extension cable. I bought a generic extension cable from the Cellphoneshop.com but it did not fit in the narrow opening of the case. After much research I bought the Cablejive dock xtender cable available here through Amazon. Make sure you get the "premium" version with 2-tier shielding (read some reviews where lack of shielding the audio seemed to be a problem with cheap extender cables, resulting in humming). Either way, if you use a case you will need a slim fit cable, so don't waste money like I did at the Cellphoneshop. I connected my phone to a mini tripod and "connected" the IM2 to the phone using Scotch Adhesive Putty that is typically used for mounting posters to walls, that you can buy at any office supply store. The putty holds it firmly in place and allows proper orientation so you can record video with the mic properly oriented on the long end of the phone verus out of the 30 pin connector side which would have it sideways for video. The putty comes off the iPhone and the IM2 cleanly and leaves no sticky residue. I also considered using velcro which I may use for other appications. You can buy velcro at any office supply store, it comes with both sides necessary for holding in place on adhesive stickers. I prefer the putty because you can remove it with no sticky residue. I had a problem getting the Tascam app set to stereo. I had to remove the xtender cable and reinsert it twice before the app recognized it and allowed me to switch to stereo. That's annoying, but no deal breaker for me. I had to turn up the level switch on the side of the IM2 all the way by turning it downward (yes, that is counterintuitive, you would think turning it up would turn it up), as well as turn up the input level setting within the app all the way. I also turned off the limiter switch on the side of the IM2. These settings seem typical for this unit and something l learned reading many reviews. My initial recording was okay, but not as high a quality as I hoped, so I turned on the EQ To Input button in the PCM Recorder settings and turned the EQ high and low all the way up. That brought in more highs and lows and resulted in a great quality recording. I will adjust the bass down a bit as I think it was just a touch bassy; so now my high EQ is at 12dB and low is at 9dB. Okay, you have to play with some settings to get the sound right for you. Keep in mind when you record you have to hit the record button twice in the PCM Recorder app. Once puts in a hold mode and twice starts the recording. I think that confuses people too...doesn't really make sense to have to hit record twice to get it to work, but you do. It will show "mono" until the second time you hit the record button, even after you have set the unit to "stereo" but it will then switch to stereo and record in stereo; yes still confusing, but once you get past the non-user friendly aspects of the product you can achieve recording that far exceeds the internal mic (IMO). Also note that the lock button on the screen is for locking down after you start recording so you don't accidentally hit stop. However, if you hit the lock button before you start recording it will lock you out of recording. Another issue people seem to be having is saving the file to their computer when they sync their iPhone. Some have suggested that you can only use the Soundcloud option to access the files. This is incorrect. in iTunes you simply select your phone, choose Aps, and make the PCM Recorder software available for File sharing. Unfortunately even after saving the file to your computer you still need to go back to the App on the iPhone to delete the original file (if you are looking to keep your iPhone clean of files after you have downloaded them to your computer in order to save space on the iPhone). Anyway, much of this information is available in the Tascam PCM Recorder software User Guide, which is available as a free PDF on the Tascam web site. I think a lot of folks either didn't know the User Guide is there or they just didn't read it. Anyway, the unit is not the easiest to use so I recommend getting the User Guide; it's only 10 simple pages. Regarding MoviePro, which I plan on purchasing for iPhone because it has zoom controls and supports the IM2, I have a feeling, like the previous reviewer indicates, the volume of the recording there may be low, unless they have an option to increase the input limits in the software like the PCM Recorder app does. My main use the IM2 is audio recording so even if the audio is a little low in the rare cases I use this for video recording, I will live with that. Perhaps I will repost after I play with MoviePro, but for now I wanted to dispell some of the bad reviews because this unit is a steal right now for the ~$29 it is going for; get one before they discontinue it and replace with the next version for ~$100 (if that is the plan)! The audio levels using the PCM Recorder App seemed near identical to the original CD levels, once I turned up the level switch all the way, turned the input level in the app up all the way, and set the EQ settings up all the way.

Save 71% Off

I won't repeat prior reviews' details except to say that I haven't had a problem with mine. What I wanted to report was that I tested the iM2 using Apple's accessory adapter with TwistedWave audio app on the new iPhone 5 and it works. When I originally asked Tascam if it worked, they simply said that they did not test it since they did not have an iPhone 5. I asked them if they considered talking to Apple to review specs and they did not reply. Losers. Anyway, I took a risk in buying the new iPhone but it panned out and I can use the iM2 again. I hope this helps you.

No comments:

Post a Comment